Friday, May 19, 2017

Aric Almirola Injury

So I made the decision to wait until I knew more after the accident last Saturday before I made this post. Instantly I was horrified by the wreck because all three drivers in the accident took huge hits and I knew it was bad. As soon as Aric wasn't getting out of his car I knew he wasn't okay. When they said they were going to cut him out of the car I was more convinced that he was injured. I was pretty convinced he had probably broken his back. I've seen enough NASCAR to put everything together to make my own diagnosis. As a Joey fan I was relieved that he was okay and then so proud of him for the interview he gave. You could tell he was shaken and worried but to be focused on Aric and praying for him was so impressive to see. I was very shocked that Danica wasn't more focused on Aric and his condition. However unlike many others I wasn't going to judge her for not caring I know that she was in a huge wreck and took big impacts. No one can judge what she was feeling and with the fire she may not have realized the impact or shots Aric took. I hated going to bed that night not knowing how Aric was especially after seeing the pictures fox put up. It was terrifying I don't blame Aric for being pissed that those pictures were taken because as a fan it was scary to see the pictures and the pain on Aric's face. I agree that they had no idea what his condition was or what they would see. He was right on his family having to see that for his wife and young children I can't imagine what that must be like for his family. Having a sister in photo journalism with a interest in sports photography I hope this can be a lesson to her it's never worth the money because the money they made on those pics they could honestly loose if Aric had wanted to sue them for taking those pictures. In that situation you don't need to be taking pictures. With all that said I am so thankful that Aric is okay for the most part. I know a broken back is serious but he should recover. I am so thankful because I know that years ago that would not have been the case. Every time I see a accident like the one at Kansas I know that although it was sad for the sport to loose Dale Sr, Adam Petty, Tony Roper and Kenny Irwin those 4 men have saved countless lives. Every time I see a accident like that I do expect the drivers to get out because that has become the norm so when you see a accident like this it does remind you of the danger. I had never seen a driver cut from a race car so it worried me that he was so badly hurt to have to be cut out. Drivers put the danger in the back of their head and as a fan I have to say I do as well. Last year at Daytona when Austin Dillon crashed I was very concerned that I had seen my first fatality in the sport. Thankfully I didn't but it has made me a lot more nervous for the plate tracks but that's really the only thought I give of it. I quickly  put it behind me and it didn't consume my thoughts moving forward. For the first couple weeks after a wreck like this the danger is more on my mind, but it quickly fades and i'm more focused on the race and how my drivers are doing and cheering them on for the win or at least a good finish not the danger of the sport or the risks they are taking. It does concern me that in the last 4 years Aric has become the 3rd driver to break his back (Denny Hamlin and Austin Theriault being the other two. I'm really not sure that there is anything else NASCAR can do because I know the drivers are tucked in the seat already and I know that after each wreck NASCAR looks at it to see what they can improve so if there is something to be fixed they will make the change needed and i'm thankful they do because it has saved so many lives since 2001. I am glad that Aric is not going to rush it to get back because his kids and the rest of his life is way more important than any race he could make it back for. I wish him all the best in the recovery. I'm thankful the wreck was not a career or life ender for any of the three drivers involved and for all NASCAR has done to make the sport the safest it can be. Times like this serve as a reminder but life goes on. On another note i'm super excited to see how the all driver broad cast goes over for the Pocono xfinity race I am excited to watch especially since 3 of my 4 drivers are in the broad cast. I am sure they will do great and it should be a fun experience for everyone. I pray for a safe and exciting all star race tomorrow. Thanks again for reading my blog it means a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys this is Jessica I am having some issues with a friend who commented twice and it never showed up so if you have commented on my blog then I am sorry that so far it has not shown up I am new to blogging and so I am trying to figure this out as I go so I apologize for constantly asking for comments when it is not working quite right. I didn't even realize until this situation. So hang on and I will try to figure this out but thanks for reading it means a lot and I hope you are enjoying the blog I would love to be able to get some comments on what you like and dislike and have conversations but as of right now it seems like something is not quite right. If you want to comment feel free to try I just can not guarantee that your comment will show up.