Sunday, October 16, 2022

Kurt Busch retirement

 

Me and Kurt Busch in 2008 

The news yesterday of Kurt Busch stepping away from full time racing is extremely emotional for me. Kurt Busch is the driver who got me into NASCAR. I had always watched with my dad as a child but it was more just something I did with my dad I wasn't paying attention I am sure I ran off to play came back. That all changed in 2003-2005 when I got a Kurt Busch trading card in a box of Cherrios. In that moment I chose Kurt as my driver and I now had a driver to cheer for a reason to watch more intently. That changed my life NASCAR is my place to go each weekend to just relax. It takes me away for hours from the stresses, the things I have to do. For those hours I get to just watch NASCAR and just enjoy the race and the competition. I look forward to the races each week it is my thing that gets me through the week knowing I have that to watch and take me out of my real world issues and focus on the race. Kurt started all of that with a trading card.

Front of the Kurt Busch card in cherrio box 
Back of Kurt Busch Card in cherrio box

In addition to getting me started in NASCAR Kurt held a lot of other NASCAR first for me. I got a slate for Kurt Busch when he was in the 97 car and it was one of my first pieces of NASCAR memorabilia that I had collected. Kurt was also the first driver I ever met when he came to my local ball park for the Akron then Areos now Rubber Ducks in August 2008. That meeting is something I still remember today although the line was long and Kurt was being pressured to move the line along. He still took the time to ask how I was, take a picture with me, autograph my things and thank me for coming. He was incredibly sweet and I always treasure that experience. 


The ad in paper that lead me to meeting Kurt Busch

I knew this moment or his retirement was coming with the years Kurt had in the sport and especially once the news of Tyler Reddick going to the team in 2024 was announced but I hate that it ended this way with the concussion. I am glad Kurt seems at peace wtih his decision and that he said the garage is his home and he will still be around and involved in various ways and maybe even if he gets cleared to race is select races or I could see him as a driver they have on stand by if anyone would get injured or need baby watch to have a driver ready to step in. 

I am going to miss watching Kurt race week in and week out. I wish him nothing but the best in his future. It is great to see him putting his health first and I hope he can get back to 100%. Kurt changed my life in so many ways he doesn't even know for getting me started in and really making me fall in love with NASCAR and be a die hard race fan. Over the years I have added other drivers I loved and root for including his brother but Kurt will always be the first driver I loved and the one who got it all started. He is the first driver or mine to retire and it has been even more emotional then I thought it would be. I am glad I might still have a chance to run into him at a race or team shop and I can't wait to see him earn his worthy hall of fame status when the time comes. Kurt thank you for so many great years as a fan and for changing my life. Enjoy your next chapter I wish you nothing but the best!!!

Kurt Busch memorbillia I have collected over the years


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys this is Jessica I am having some issues with a friend who commented twice and it never showed up so if you have commented on my blog then I am sorry that so far it has not shown up I am new to blogging and so I am trying to figure this out as I go so I apologize for constantly asking for comments when it is not working quite right. I didn't even realize until this situation. So hang on and I will try to figure this out but thanks for reading it means a lot and I hope you are enjoying the blog I would love to be able to get some comments on what you like and dislike and have conversations but as of right now it seems like something is not quite right. If you want to comment feel free to try I just can not guarantee that your comment will show up.