Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Farwell to two of the sports biggest stars

Like so many recent seasons once again we are loosing two of the veterans and sports big stars in Matt Kenseth and Dale Jr. This is an interesting time for me because it is weird to see drivers like Carl, Matt, Tony, Dale, Jeff leaving because they were the stars off the sport when I came in. I have watched most of those drivers for 10 years or so. To see them leave is a bit sad because they are such legends and I have got to know their personalities. However I am excited for the young guns because they are my peers and I feel connected to them in ways I never had most of the older drivers. Drivers like Joey, Erik, Chase, Ryan Blaney, Austin, Ty, Bubba, William, Alex, Christopher, Ryan Truex, Ryan Reed, Daniel Hemric, are all my peers and drivers I am excited to watch in the sport for years to come. I will be interested to see if this trend continues because from 2007-2012 there were very few high profile rookies and Joey Logano is the only rookie of the year who is still in a competitive cup ride. However the past few years have brought a lot of talent and changing of the guard. From 1999-2006 brought us most of the drivers that have retired or are starting to retire. So I wonder if we will get this batch and then slow down for a while or what. For me I will miss Matt and Dale.
From the beginning since Matt announced he had been let go from gibbs I felt conflicted. I am a huge Erik Jones fan so I was happy for Erik to go be teammates with two of my other favorites Kyle and Denny. However I have enjoyed Matt and his dry sense of his humor really since he joined Joe Gibbs racing. I loved the 3 gibbs had a year ago with Matt, Carl, Denny and Kyle that was my favorite gibbs lineup since it was Joey, Denny and Kyle at gibbs. So I am excited for Erik but I wish it was Erik, Denny, Kyle and Matt (which I believe it would have been had Carl retired at the end of this season instead of before the season because I bet Erik was supposed to get the 19 after his 1 year at furniture row (while carl ran his last season). Watching Matt at Phoenix tugged at my heart strings. The emotion and fact that may have been his last win was special yet sad to watch. He deserves a ride for next year. I would hate for one of my favorites to be forced out before they were ready so I can sympathize with Matt's fans on that. I am grateful he at least got to go out a winner. Matt mentioned the Martinsville incent recently as a joey fan stuff happens on the racetrack and at first I was ticked but I have liked Matt for a while so I was able just to let it go and move on and not hold a grudge.
Matt I wish you all the best with your kids you mentioned God took you out for a reason and he seems content at least a little with the way his situation has happened. I am excited for him to get a chance to spend more time with his kids. Dale I was never as much a fan of I respected him for continuing on in the sport that claimed his father's life when he could have walked away and most people would have understood. He had so many fans turn to him and add pressure and handled himself well. After his concussion issues I was glad to see that he was able to come back and end his career on his terms. However I do believe it was the best thing to hang up his helmet at this years end especially when he announced he was going to become a father. Dale was one of the sports biggest stars and I am thankful he will be remaining in the sport as a owner and on TV. Dale like Matt was a very classy guy and it was nice to see him get a nice farewell tour although I feel for Matt, Carl and the others who did not really get their farewell tours. I wish both matt and Dale all the best in their respective futures you both changed the sport and it will be weird to not see you out there next year. PS sorry this is so late I had a draft started and honestly just forgot to post it so if there are errors that is why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys this is Jessica I am having some issues with a friend who commented twice and it never showed up so if you have commented on my blog then I am sorry that so far it has not shown up I am new to blogging and so I am trying to figure this out as I go so I apologize for constantly asking for comments when it is not working quite right. I didn't even realize until this situation. So hang on and I will try to figure this out but thanks for reading it means a lot and I hope you are enjoying the blog I would love to be able to get some comments on what you like and dislike and have conversations but as of right now it seems like something is not quite right. If you want to comment feel free to try I just can not guarantee that your comment will show up.